The history of Crosstown Concourse - The Curb Market
429
post-template-default,single,single-post,postid-429,single-format-standard,qode-quick-links-1.0,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,qode-title-hidden,qode_grid_1300,footer_responsive_adv,qode-theme-ver-11.1,qode-theme-curb market,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-5.1.1,vc_responsive

The history of Crosstown Concourse

The building we’re in has a story to tell. It actually starts before the doors opened in 1927. The Crosstown Concourse was formerly Sears Roebuck and Company. It operated as both a retail, and distribution center until its closure in 1993.

Fast facts:

  • The building features Art Deco styling, common in the 1920s.
  • The designer and architect was George C. Nimmons.
  • At peak, the catalog center processing 45,000 orders, per day

Shared lineage:

Nimmons also designed Atlanta’s Ponce City Market

What is now Ponce City Market opened in 1926, one year before Crosstown Concourse, also being a Sears Roebuck & Company. It operated as a retail and distribution center until 1987.

After its closure, the building suffered a similar fate, until it was also revitalized into a multi-purpose building.

What did we learn here?

Before you get the urge to tear down something old and put something new in its place, take a look at what it can be.

No Comments

Post A Comment