04 Sep Pasta with Bacon and Tomatoes
There is nothing like a simple and flavorful pasta dish. Combining fresh Winchester Farm bacon and ripe local tomatoes with the other ingredients is divine. I would be tempted to add one bunch of spinach after sauteing the onions. That way you get your greens in and it’s a one dish meal. Likewise, a side salad including some fresh spinach would be also do the trick. Your call!
2 servings spaghetti – gluten free can be substituted
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4 slices Winchester Farm bacon (chopped)
2 cloves garlic (minced)
¼ onion (chopped)
½ tsp red chili pepper flakes (or to taste)
1 can diced tomatoes with juice (1 can = 14.5 oz) (or 3 ripe fresh tomatoes – The Curb’s preference!)
Freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup chopped parsley
Parmesan cheese (freshly grated)
1. Gather all the ingredients. This saves SO much time!
2. Cook the spaghetti in a large pot of boiling water until al dente.
3. When it’s done, reserve 1/4 cup of the pasta water and drain. Set aside.
4. Meanwhile, heat oil on medium heat in a skillet and add the bacon. Cook until just browned, about 5 minutes.
5. Add the garlic and onion and cook until the onion is translucent.
6. Add the red chili pepper flakes, tomatoes, and 1/4 cup of the reserved pasta water and stir to combine.
7. Allow to simmer, and then cook uncovered for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Make sure the sauce has good
strong flavor, so when you add pasta it balances out the flavor.
8. Add the spaghetti and parsley and toss to coat.
9. Top with freshly grated Parmesan and serve immediately
Recipe and photo credit- justonecookbook.com. Some minor changes were made to the recipe and are in italics.