06 Sep Sausage Stuffed Bell Peppers
Local bell peppers filled with homemade Italian Sausage, organic rice, just the right seasonings and topped with cheese. Pair this dish with a fresh green salad and you have a beautiful fall meal!
INGREDIENTS – Serves 5
5 red bell peppers
1/2 c.mushrooms, finely chopped
2 c. steamed Organic Rice from McKaskle’s Family Farm
2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, plus more for serving
1 1/2 c. shredded cheese, divided
Finely chopped parsley, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350º and grease a casserole dish.
- Slice off tops of bell peppers, then remove the membranes and seeds and discard. Arrange empty peppers standing up in prepared casserole dish.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook sausage until browned, 8 to 10 minutes – drain off excess grease.
- Stir in mushrooms and rice.
- Add Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and ½ cup cheese. Stir until cheese is completely melted.
- Spoon sausage mixture into bell peppers and top with remaining cheese. Bake until cheese is completely melted, 8 to 10 minutes. Season with pepper and top with parsley. Serve immediately. (Recipe adapted from delish.com/Recipe and Photo by Tiffany Azure)