11 Jul Tomato Pie
Serves 8 to 10
What You Need
- 1 pie dough, homemade or store-bought
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 1/2 pounds red tomatoes, ripe, thickly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil leaves – chopped
- 3 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup butter cracker crumbs (about twelve 3/4-inch crackers), such as Ritz
- Preheat the oven and roll out the pie crust. Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat to 350°F. Roll out the pie dough to an 11-inch round, then transfer to a 9-inch glass or ceramic pie plate.
- Crimp the edges of the crust. Roll the edges of the dough about 1/2 inch over on itself, then crimp or flute. Refrigerate while the oven heats.
- Blind bake the pie crust for 20 minutes. Line the chilled pie shell with parchment paper, then fill with dried beans or pie weights. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Cook the bacon until crisp. While the pie crust bakes, place the bacon in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat and cook until crisp, 8 to 12 minutes. Remove from the pan to paper towels to drain.
- Cool the pie crust. Place the crust on a wire rack and carefully remove the parchment and beans or weights. Set aside to cool while assembling the rest of the filling ingredients.
- Salt the tomatoes and chop the bacon. Arrange the tomato slices in a single layer on a double layer of paper towels and sprinkle with salt. Finely chop the crisped bacon. Pat the tomatoes dry with another double layer of paper towels.
- Layer the tomatoes, bacon, and basil in pie shell. Reserve 3 to 4 slices of tomato for the top of the pie. Arrange 1/3 of the remaining tomato slices evenly in the pie shell. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the bacon and 1/3 of the basil. Continue layering the tomatoes, bacon, and basil for a total of 3 layers.
- Top the tomatoes with the mayo and cheese. Place the cheese, mayo, and pepper in a small bowl and stir to combine. Spread the cheese mixture on top of the tomatoes in an even layer.
- Sprinkle with the cracker crumbs and reserved tomato slices. Sprinkle with the cracker crumbs, then place the reserved tomatoes on top.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes. Bake until the pie is golden-brown and bubbly, 40 to 45 minutes.
- Cool for 15 minutes before slicing. Remove the pie to the wire rack and cool at least 15 minutes before slicing. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Make ahead: The pie shell and bacon can be blind baked and cooked up to 2 days in advance. Loosely wrap the pie shell and refrigerate it and the bacon after cooling.
Storage: Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Recipe/Photos Meghan Splawn.